Teams
Rankings
Polls
Players
Alumni
Hall of Fame
Archive

Who's Online
0 registered and 47 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Karl Nickolai
westernalum
DMAC
uffleshuffle
rymac300
Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#9506 - 09/27/11 03:37 PM Re: New Season [Re: RIT_TylerHerrman]
uffleshuffle Offline
forum member

Loc: Iowa
I think you are definitely on the right track by encouraging TDs to push that much harder for sponsorships!
Fremont, NE

#9507 - 09/27/11 04:24 PM Re: New Season [Re: uffleshuffle]
westernalum Offline
forum member

Loc: Chicago, IL
As the tournament director for two tournaments, I can tell you that it isn't easy to get sponsorships. I am just thankful that the Leatherneck has the reputation that it does and that there are a ton of local teams for the Warhawk. Both events will be full this year. The Warhawk will not have any additional money however the Leatherneck WILL! I have a $1,000 sponsorship secured from the Illinois State Youth Leaders, have a deal with partner host hotels to make a donation, and am still working on a grant through the Iowa Sports Commission (which is why we decided to go to Miller Time in Davenport and why all the host hotels are in Iowa). They are potentially donating up to $6,000. I hope to have some more information on that very soon.

As a side note: to date we have 28 unique men's teams and 26 unique women's teams, with room for 46 and 30 respectively. With multiple entries, both fields will be full. And for the Warhawk we have 24 unique men's teams and 21 unique women's teams. We are full on the women's side (with a waiting list) and have room for 1 men's team!

So yea, I wonder how many tournaments will actually have a prize fund this year? Anyone know of any (other than the Leatherneck)?

Shawn Wochner
Tournament Director
ISYL Leatherneck Classic
Warhawk Open
UW Whitewater Head Men's Bowling Coach

#9508 - 09/27/11 10:28 PM Re: New Season [Re: westernalum]
VUbowl Offline
forum member

I know the tournament that we are setting up in conjunction with Terre Haute Bowling Center in Terre Haute, IN will have a fairly considerable sponsorship prize fund, stands currently at $6,000.

This is a brand new Tier 2 tournament that Terre Haute Bowl has been wanting to get started for a couple years now. Of course finding a good date with the current schedule is impossible so we had to settle for the weekend right before the Hoosier Classic in February. But for teams here in the midwest, Terre Haute is centrally located and pretty easy to get to.

I wanted to come up with a different format with the tournament being at the end of the year so we decided on doing a combination of both team games AND Baker games, ALL on Saturday for qualifying and then will do a single elimination bracket on Sunday with the top qualifying teams on Saturday getting byes. Its a little different than what we normally do plus it gives the teams a little practice headstart into the post season heading towards the ITC bracket format.

Entry fee will be VERY reasonable and with the sponsor money we should be able to have some decent team prizes. If your teams are looking for something close at the end of the season, with a good prize fund and different format, keep that weekend open. We should have some firm details with entry blanks available soon.

Gary Sparks
Vincennes University

#9509 - 09/27/11 10:32 PM Re: New Season [Re: VUbowl]
uffleshuffle Offline
forum member

Loc: Iowa
Shawn,

You do a great job, and I never meant to imply that it was easy to secure sponsorships, I just think that this new rule may put extra pressure on TDs that relied too much on charging prize money. It could surprise some people what they can get if they try.

The Team Match Games is usually sponsored by Storm, but that may just be the equipment. Aside from Gary's new tournament above, the Backhaul Direct Hoosier will have another prize fund I'm sure.
Fremont, NE

#9510 - 09/28/11 10:17 AM Re: New Season [Re: uffleshuffle]
RIT_TylerHerrman Offline
forum member

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Kegel is a tier 2 that will have a prizes, which is why my team has elected to travel that weekend out west instead of bowling a more localized tier 2 in Penn State.

Thanks Gary, I'll have my team look into that event, we have been looking to add another event because of losing our Penn State tournament(which was scheduled the same weekend as Kegel for the first time in my 4 years here, not sure why).

#9520 - 10/04/11 03:39 PM Re: New Season [Re: RIT_TylerHerrman]
Scud Offline
forum member

Loc: ROC
To get back to the predictions for a moment, I have to say that I can't see Marshall Kent not winning ROY. Too much experience at such a young age on too good of a team. Top 5 at his first tier 1 (or any tournament) says quite a bit.

Rochester Institute of Technology
"Double-Fisted"

#9523 - 10/05/11 02:31 PM Re: New Season [Re: Scud]
Nick Hoagland Offline
forum member

Great Discussion Everyone!

The Backhaul Direct Hoosier Classic presented by Columbia 300 is already secured for $7,500 in sponsorship money and it is our intent to get to a total of $10,000 by February.

We are very thankful to our sponsors who help us continue to operate, what we feel is, the most prestigious regular season title in all of college bowling.

This year we will have the entire bowling center on Friday Night for the Eliminator Tournament (320 entries) in addition to the actual tournament.

Also, on the men's side, the top 12 teams will make it to the roll off with seeds 1-4 getting a first round bye.

Nick Hoagland
Backhaul Direct
nhoag@backhauldirect.com

#9524 - 10/05/11 02:33 PM Re: New Season [Re: Nick Hoagland]
Nick Hoagland Offline
forum member

Also, Bo Shipley (tournament director for the Hoosier) and I will be at Western Bowl this Sunday if any coaches or athletes have questions about the event!

Nick

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
Shout Box

December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Generated in 0.156 seconds in which 0.09 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.