Teams
Rankings
Polls
Players
Alumni
Hall of Fame
Archive

Who's Online
0 registered and 37 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Karl Nickolai
westernalum
DMAC
uffleshuffle
rymac300
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1281 - 02/21/07 01:49 PM Fighting Illini
WeaverStLefty Offline
forum member

Loc: PA
It disgusts me to find out that Illinois will no longer be able to have the Indian dance around at football and basketball games anymore. After 81 years, it absolutely boggles my mind at how people can find his presence racist after so many alumnus have graduated proud to be a Fighting Illini. What do the guys on the Illinois team think? It's your school, but I'm just as fired up about it...

#1289 - 02/21/07 03:56 PM Re: Fighting Illini [Re: WeaverStLefty]
rbroller815 Offline
forum member

Loc: new lenox, IL
i think its stupid because the dance is researched every year and is done to perfection

NIU Bowling

#1292 - 02/21/07 04:25 PM Re: Fighting Illini [Re: rbroller815]
rymac300 Offline
forum member

YEA!!! i hate that...i have a lot of friends that go there and i feel bad for them....ITS A TRADITION!!! wut bout the FSU seminoles...are they gonna have to stop theres too?!!! cuz that would just suck!!! ive had 2 cousins play fball there and thats a huge thing to them

#1318 - 02/22/07 12:28 AM Re: Fighting Illini [Re: rymac300]
Illini Stud Offline
forum member

I think I can speak for 98% of the student population here and say we are all pretty mad about the whole thing. I can assure you there were many teary eyes tonight at assembly hall for that last dance. The chief is a staple of this school, and the NCAA has taken away something our sporting events have been prided on for 81 years. We definitely aren't happy about it, and its going to end up hurting our school big time because the alumni have already come out and said "if U of I eliminates the chief, we will stop donating(at least cut back on donations." Its a crappy situation.

The NCAA has said its disrespectful to have that as our "mascot" but we technically do not have a mascot. During sporting events, the chief comes out for ~4-5 minutes, does his honorary dance, and then leaves the arena. Quite a different thing than Michigan State's Spartan who is running up and down the sidelines throughout the duration of a football game. He is not our mascot, he is something we pride ourselves on. Its a crappy situation, but i don't see it coming back anytime soon. If you can't tell, i'm a bit bitter about it. Anyone else have an opinion?

Joe Conrad
U of I

#1327 - 02/22/07 10:52 AM Re: Fighting Illini [Re: Illini Stud]
SLIDERmd Offline
forum member

Loc: East Lansing, MI
i'm sure you can try a petition or something of that sort, or even go to a native american council or some sorts and se if they have anything to say about it..just an idea

Its funny because its true

#1337 - 02/22/07 02:15 PM Re: Fighting Illini [Re: SLIDERmd]
WeaverStLefty Offline
forum member

Loc: PA
I was following this situation pretty closely. Florida State was able to avoid NCAA sanctions on hosting post-season play because they have a close relationship with the Seminole tribe and the Seminoles have dictated to Florida State how they want their mascot portrayed (what to wear, how to act). My question would be to Illini Stud: What tribe is your school portraying, and if there is a tribe name, are there any members of the tribe that have criticized its use. I would assume your school would have already looked into that, but I have not heard anything about it. Thanks

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Generated in 0.151 seconds in which 0.087 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.